Trash & Recycling
• Trash pickup days are Tuesday and Fridays.
• Trash should be put out for pickup prior to 7:00 AM on the day of the pickup.
• Trash containers may be placed on the curb the evening before pickup, after 7:30 PM.
• Make sure you leave your trash at the curb in designated areas only, not on the lawn.
• No trash may ever be placed on the city streets.
• It is against Association rules to put trash out the night before pickup if the trash is not in a container.
• All trash containers must be labeled with your house number.
• Containers must be removed from the curb the day of pickup.
ESI, our private trash and recycling contractor, provides single-stream recycling. Single-stream recycling is the mixing of all recyclable materials into a single receptacle for collection and processing. All you do is set aside acceptable recyclables and ESI does the rest.
• Tuesday is recycling day (note change from old day)
• Recycling may be placed on the curb the evening before pickup, after 7:30 PM in containers only.
• Make sure you leave your recycling receptacle at the curb in the designated areas, not the lawn.
• Recycling may never be placed on city streets.
• All paper, glass, or plastic containers must be placed in recycling receptacles.
• All recycling receptacles must be labeled with your house number.
• Newspapers may be placed in paper bags and also left on the curb.
• Recycling receptacles must be removed from the curb the day of pickup.
Clean all containers before recycling:
• Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown and green)
• Plastic - #1 through #7 (with recycling logo displayed)
• Aluminum and bi-metal food and beverage cans
• Paper products – newspaper, magazines, catalogs, phone books, packing paper, folders without binding, mixed
• Paper (office paper, brochures, glossy paper, various colored papers, etc.), paper bags
• Cardboard – corrugated cardboard & paper board boxes (i.e. cereal boxes, shoe boxes, etc). The boxes do not have to be broken down, but they must be empty of all trash.
Items that should NOT be recycled include the following:
• Paper towels, napkins, tissues
• Bound books or reports
• Beverage glasses or tempered glass, such as window glass
• Cellophane, shrink wrap, or packing materials such as styrofoam, peanuts, and bubble wrap
• Any containers that held hazardous materials such as motor oil, paints, or thinners, or household chemicals
(April 1st through December 31st only)
During these months, please place yard waste into paper bags. Dirt, rocks or sod will not be collected. Branches can be tied in small bundles and should be no longer than 4 feet in length, 2-3 inches in width.
Holiday Impact on Trash/Recycle Collection
If a holiday falls on a regularly scheduled pickup day, the trash and/or recycling will be collected the following scheduled pickup day. For example, if the holiday falls on Tuesday, trash will be collected on our next scheduled trash pickup day, Friday. If the holiday falls on Friday, trash will be collected on our next scheduled trash pickup day, Tuesday, and recycling will be picked up on our next scheduled recycling pickup day, Tuesday.
Christmas Tree Removal
Christmas trees can be placed at curbside by 7:00 a.m. the first two Wednesdays after New Year’s Day for collection. Residents should prepare their trees for collection by removing all ornaments, tinsel, and stands. Do not place any trees in plastic bags.
Household Hazardous Waste & Electronic Recycling Disposal
Household hazardous waste and electronics can be disposed Mondays and Saturdays 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (except holidays) at 3224 Colvin Street. Please visit the City’s website (http://alexandriava.gov/) for a detailed list of acceptable and non-acceptable items.
If you have any questions about any of the above items, please contact Capitol Property Management at (703) 707-6404.